Friday, December 10, 2010

Dragons and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

I'm so happy to see that Christoph Niemann's new picture book SUBWAY was named one of the best 10 illustrated children's books of 2010 by the New York Times. His first picture book THE PET DRAGON is magnificent...a great story with an elegant illustrative twist.

A little girl is given a baby dragon. They become best friends and then the dragon goes missing. Throughout the friendship and journey ro find the pet dragon, Chinese characters are woven into the illustrations in a way that makes the meaning obvious. After a few times through the story, my daughter was able to identify nearly all of the characters.

It's a great book, still in print, and a wonderful way to introduce Chinese characters.

Ummm, I don't have anything to say about bears. I just like the Wizzard of Oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment