Monday, November 29, 2010

READING

Last week I was invited to a party hosted by the adoption agency that facilitated our adoption from China. The room was full of girls (and 2 boys) , all adopted from China. Some were past the age of picture books but still argued which one of them was the 'tiny tiger'...my writer's heart skipped a beat. Holy cow they actually identify...and like it enough to have a spat over it! They didn't know I was the writer, so they had no idea they had made my day. And calmed my stomach, since I was under the impression that I was doing a reading later on...my first reading ever.


But after a long, somewhat painful, dance recital, followed by a weird, smarmy magician the girls  -- and parents if truth be told -- were in no mood for a book reading and mercifully it didn't happen.


My relief at not boring the life out of the already sagging party was later followed by some disappointment. It turned out that I really wanted to read. And still do...At a party full of bored children, at a bookstore in the boonies, at the library around the corner with 2 kids listening. Who knows, someone might just fight over who the tiny tiger really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment